Monday, August 25, 2008

My Big Boy's Birthday

Let the party begin, as we celebrate Benjamin's 8th birthday this week (he's taken to being called his full name again, which pleases me). He still writes "Ben", cause it's quicker.
I remember so clearly, that VERY hot 100 degree day, when Ben was born (2 days early). Weighing in at 9lbs 12 oz & just shy of 23 inches long. He's still "big" for his age. The graph at the doctor's office charting his growth is on the backside. Off the charts, & very straight across (95%+). In fact, he's just as tall as a few of the 12-year-olds in our neighborhood.

He asked me this morning, on the way to school, if I was going to cry. I told him "the day wasn't over yet". For those of you who don't know this about me....I cry for a lot of reasons. When I'm happy, when I'm sad, when I hear the Star Spangled Banner (no matter how poorly performed), because someone else cries, and for all kinds of reasons with my children.

Ben's friend recently told him, that he was having a smaller party this year. Because his mom told him she would spend more money on presents. Ok then.....that's what Ben thinks too. So we are having a smaller party this weekend with just a few friends. Lunch & some mini-golf most likely.

Usually we invite the whole street+ to celebrate in the backyard pool. Always involving the water obstacle course, water balloons & 100 degree weather. Seems we get to skip all that this year. No more picking up 100's of tiny balloon pieces. (Grandma did it last year, thanks !:-)

Even more important to pick up all those little things again, now that we have a goofy little puppy that eats everything.
Again, Happy Birthday, sweet boy. God has great plans for you ~

No comments: