Friday, July 17, 2009

39 and holding.....

.....was one of my Dad's favorite sayings, whenever anyone asked his age. I'm not sure what he said before he was 39, as I didn't know him then. He was also very clever when someone would say "Wow, you are tall. How tall are you?" Without missing a beat, he would respond. "75 inches." Now if that didn't make people think. You do the math.

I have finally reached the "39 and holding". Holding on for DEAR life to my 30's. Why ? I don't really know. Turning 30 didn't really bother me, as I was pregnant with Ben, so it was the beginning of a new and exciting chapter of my life. Of having children. Now as I look forward to being FORTY, (I almost stutter as I say it), I think that sounds old. What is the plan in that season of life ? I don't know. I've got a whole year, before I need to find out. Instead I will relish being in my 30's for 12 more months.

Here is a picture of the birthday present my Mom sent to me last year. It's very precious to me as I hadn't remembering seeing it before. On the back in my Mom's handwriting, was "Dawn and her Daddy".
I must be just weeks old. My Dad was well into his 40's (39 and holding) when I was born. I'm certain he didn't hold onto his 30's, as I seem to be doing. As that was just not his style. He had a "surprise" (yes, Mom a blessing) in his 40's. Whew. That would be a big one for my 40's ! Yikes. I think I'll anticipate a trip to the Grand Canyon, or running a 5K, and any other adventures that come my way.

Happy Birthday, to me (cha cha cha).....

2 comments:

Janine said...

Happy Birthday, Dawn! Last year at this time I was 39 and holding too and when I turned 40 in January I discovered it was actually quite amazing. Sure, I lather on a little more night cream these days ... but being 40 is great.

Shannon said...

I think I have come to terms with 40. I'm gonna take my last year in the 30's as preparation so I can be forty and fabulous as I am sure will be too. Age is just a number. Hope you had a happy day!